...vs virtual life. Hmmm
I started this post on the 25th of January with just those words, then I had to go do something and never got the post done. So now I'm back to revisit it. Today is really February 12 :)
I've always been an on line geek, since back in the days of Internet Relay Chat when the only people on there were MIT guys and other computer geek people (and my sister Lisa who lived across the sea and that was the only "cheap" way to talk to her regularly). We're talking like early 1980's. All through the years and over various interweb (I just like that word-it makes me giggle) forms I have made friends and acquaintances , all over the world.
You could debate about whether they are "real" friends or "virtual" friends, but imho, they are all as real as can be. My point is, there isn't a pretend person generated by some wondrous computer on the other end of the conversation you are having--this is a real live human being with real live human being thoughts and dreams and fears and well, the list is endless. Many people actually forget that, this is a real person here, and treat that person as though they are some disposable thing -- not so.
I may not be a part of my friends daily life, sitting in the kitchen having coffee, but I am there nonetheless, participating in a conversation, thinking together, supporting each other, sometimes holding on to a little thread of sanity. Sometimes I'm lucky enough to actually meet those friends, we've had gatherings of various sorts where people come from all over the world to meet. I was "best woman" in a wedding in Australia -- two people met on the internet and later married and I knew them both through our on-line conversations. Another two people who met in person at that wedding after talking on-line for years ended up getting married shortly thereafter.
I met my husband on the internet in a mmorp (massively multi-player on line role playing game). Yes, I'm an on line gamer, I blame my son Zach, its all his fault! My husband and I met playing this game, we spent two years of many hours playing this game and talking and laughing and sometimes being serious until finally he asked me to meet him to go to a wedding as his date. The rest (6 years later) is history.
I don't remember what started me on this little jaunt, it was something I read somewhere about "real vs virtual" and I just don't believe there is such a thing. We are all real, the form we use to communicate is virtual but still, we are real. My friends that I haven't physically met are just as valuable to me as those I have. I still wish for my teleporter though, for any number of reasons a teleporter would just be over the top awesome.
1 comment:
Good post Bonnie! I totally agree. I have to wonder if the impersonal language doesn't make it easier for some people to treat others, online, like they are less than human. I have seen that happen on message boards (mommy based ones are the worst for bashing!) It's sad because I doubt that any of those women act like that in person.
Post a Comment